Have you been trying to think of a way to conquer your local comic convention through cosplay? Do you gaze with envious eyes upon the fan-made suits of armored awesomeness strolling around every year on Halloween? Do you have a spot on your wall, bookshelf, or desk that desperately needs to be filled with a screen-accurate replica of your favorite science-fiction or fantasy weapon? If so, look no further. We’ve got just the book for you!
In this book, master prop maker Shawn Thorsson uses his unique blend of humor and insight to turn years of painful experience into detailed explanations. He’ll show you many of the tools, methods, and processes that you can use to create professional-looking science fiction and fantasy props and armor. The ultimate collision of creative imagination and practical maker skills, making props and costume armor involves sculpting, molding, casting, 3D printing, CNC fabrication, painting, and countless other techniques and technologies.
In this book, you’ll learn:
- Basic fabrication methods using inexpensive, commonly-available tools and materials
- Simple, low-cost methods to make foam armor out of easy-to-find foam mats
- How to use the popular Pepakura software to build 3D models with paper
- Multiple molding and casting techniques
- How to build a “vacuforming” machine to make armor from plastic sheet stock
- Painting and weathering techniques that will bring your props to life
- Just enough safety advice to keep you from losing body parts along the way
Whether you’re just a beginner or a seasoned builder with countless projects behind you, this book is sure to be an invaluable addition to your workshop library.